Saturday 20 October 2012

M&M store - London style

I'll be the first to admit that I just don't get the M&M phenomenon (please don't kill me guys). I mean, its just chocolate and its not even like super duper awesome tasting chocolate. Is it the colours? The size? Do you remember the M&M vs Smartie argument when you were in primary school? I always preferred Smarties myself but I never admitted to it for fear of retribution from the cool kids (clearly I wasn't one of them). I also remember standing in Woolworths not too long ago debating what bag of mini chocolates I would buy as encouragement in op risk training sessions me and Mrs S used to give. For some reason I always thought that Smarties would be cooler since they were in boxes and M&Ms were in bags (not that it is of any consequence whatsoever, I don't think anyone ever cared... and most of the time I ever ended up buying mini Snickers and Twix anyway).

So going back to today - we had a spare hour to kill whilst my little sister Miss B was accompanying Miss L at a dance class in Covent Garden. Having eaten lunch already the logical option seemed to be do a small spot of window shopping and we found ourselves at the M&M store. I have been to the NYC version of the store before (Mrs A and I even bought the same souvenir tshirt) but I haven't been to the London store which I think only opened recently.We aren't usually one for touristy things - the novelty of living in one of the most visited cities in the world has definitely worn off - but thought it might be worth a look since its a cool shop even if I don't get what the fuss is about.



We went in, were immediately accosted by a smiling guy holding a shopping bag out for us, and were instantly overwhelmed with the number of people in the store. Nevertheless we perservered and discovered there are four levels of the place. FOUR. And of course its all been Londonised, as you can see from the Leicester Square bus which frames the store entrance and the M&M road! I'm not sure how much I'm sold on the "so much more than chocolate" although the volume of merchandise was pretty epic (and I did like the golf balls):



I also really liked the way the store was kitted out, especially these dangly things. Then there were of course the colors of the walls of M&Ms - this is definitely my favourite part of the store.



And for something nerdy but cool in the store - the periodic table.



I was really super sad that they don't have peanut butter M&Ms in the store (only regular peanut, plain, and crispy) so it looks like next time someone goes to NYC and pays a visit to the store I'll still be requesting the peanut butter M&Ms.

Finally, I did wonder why Mr T wanted white M&Ms, but then it all made sense... look who loves the Lakers too? I love how protective Dougal is of his Lakers coloured M&Ms, isn't he just the cutest?



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment